Monday, January 30

how do you say dove in spanish?

My friends, I have had an insight! brace yourselves!!! mixing the worldly with the spiritual is how false doctrine destroys one's life, however mixing the spiritual in your world is how to live. . .

that's it. thats all the insightfulness i can manage for today. better luck tomorrow, and on to the good stuff:

So I have been pondering lately (it is a new pass time, and i quite enjoy it!) and I have been thinking about what it means to be "willing."  God asks us to be willing to take upon ourselves the name of his son, Jesus Christ.  
A few years back when i was a fresh man at BYU we had a ward fireside that intrigued me and enlightened my understanding of the Gospel.  I will share; The speaker expounded upon the concept that WE DON'T HAVE TO BE PERFECT, but only willing to be so.  dejame explicar.  This does't mean we should stop trying to be perfect, that should be the goal always.  What it means is that we are all human.  We all sin, and fall short, but our intention should always be perfection, or in better words, taking upon ourselves the name of Christ, or in other words, be Christlike, or in other words, try to be perfect (it's a vicious cycle, don't over analyze it haha.)
I used the word "intention" earlier but i don't like that word.  Whenever I think of "that word" i think of the phrase that "good intentions pave the road to hell" which is true (other things that the road to hell is paved with are: mortar, animal bones, diet  coke, unidentifiable paraphanelia of different dubious origen, popsicle stick, pirate ships and a certain politicians.)  Intention is inescapably connected in my mind as something I meant to do, would like to do, think it would be a pleasant surprise if it happened, or know is a good thing to do BUT i don't do it.  Willing as defined in the Timbston dictionary of appropriately correct definitions means much more than that.  If i am willing to do something, it is my will as in, I will do this because it's my real desire to do so.  I am not willing to wash dishes if that were an isolated event.  It is not my desire to do them,  my greater desire to eat can at times overcome my lack of desire to do dishes (but not always hence drinking straight from the milk carton, etc.) but my even greater desire to not have my roommates made at me makes me be willing to do my dishes. . .i dunno if that was a good example, analogies are not my forte (my forte is my sense of humor, which i must say is quite adapt)(i don't know if that word applies, but i enjoy utilizing smartsy words)(it makes me feel at home)(because all my family is smart and know big words)(i know a few big words too)(i don't always know how to correctly use them)(sometimes i think of smartsy words in spanish, that doesn't help me communicate much here, unless i'm talking to someone else who speaks spanish)

speaking of getting side tracked easily, today i accomplished a goal i set the first day of bio100 (my biology teacher knows dad and he (my teacher, not dad) gets side tracked worse than i do.  today he explained to us that there are a lot of stray cats on campus and that he sets up cameras to track them for another class, and he gets permission to do so obviously, and sometimes he creeps through the bushes looking for them by the administration building and how it'd be really hard to explain to Pres. Samuelson why he was creeping through the bushes by the admin. building if he popped out and saw him in his office (presiden samuelson in his office)(in president samuelson's office not my teachers office, that wouldn't apply to the admin building) and then he was like um how does that apply to the subject and we were all like i dunno dude, (i've seen some of said stray cats and i was like hmm a stray cat, who knew! but apparently they infest campus and come out at night. one time the set cages up in the stadium and caught like 60, or 20 i forget but its definitely one of the two number ranges. . .) then he was like oh ya cameras, but that didn't apply to the subject at hand either. . .we were talking about global warming and how higher temperatures are affecting the spruces in canada (by killing them: death by beetles who go through their life cycles faster due to warmer climates. neat huh. unless you're the spruces.) so my goal first day of class was: sit by that girl.  She was pretty cute and as stated before, i need study buddies to make study groups with (they don't actually have to be cute, but thats a definite bonus.)  and i hadn't met anyone else in class who i could be like oh hey lets go study! so i tried sitting by where this girl always sits and then she'd walk in late that day and the seats would be taken, so i gave up and stopped even seeing her in class, until last week she appeared again (or i noticed her again, on of the two) and i was like i should go sit by her, as the rational part of my brain mocked me and i sat not by her
 today was different!!! why? i willed myself out of bed at 630 because my desire to get in shape out weighed my desire to be fat and went running with Brendan (my room-roomy) I am faster than Brendan. (thats always nice) When we were done, i felt great! so i studied my scriptures and showered and ate breakfast and got dressed (not in that order of course, a more appropriate order was followed) and looked in the mirror, my hair was in just the right place and i said, "feel good, look good" my confidence was up two notches as i walked up the stairs to class and i said, i'm gonna sit by that girl today, so i did (and i looked good doin it too) ("hey is that seat taken" "no") so i sat down, and played it cool, got notebook out (catchy name for my notebook huh?) and sat for a minute and then started up a casual conversation ( "hey do you know what day the test is?" "this wednesday" (genuinely surprised) "huh? really? oh snap") we talked for a bit and I found out she has roots all the way from Spain, this i found out cuz her name is Paloma, which is a spanish word.  i was like wait thats spanish and she was like do you speak spanish and i said no (no i didn't i said yes) and we chatted a bit in class.  All in all I felt pretty good about it.  I figure next class I won't sit by her, and then the class after i will again.  it's a mind game.  and i'm winning. . .in my mind anyways.  

Is that seat taken? --that is a fair question?

1 comment:

chelsea said...

I can't believe you somewhat talked about a schedule, and then I wrote about a schedule without even looking at your blog first! Wow. But I'm glad you asked the question if the seat was taken. :)

Oh this is great! And are you for reals a poli sci major?